2013 PSRS Academic Scholarship
Purpose: The Purpose of the Academic Scholarship is to provide financial support for PSRS and PB members and family members to pursue their academic goals.
1. The applicant, their parent(s), legal guardian(s), or grandparent(s) must be a current member in “good standing” of either the Palmetto Soldiers Relief Society or Palmetto Battalion for at least one year. Verification of membership will be checked upon receipt of application.
2. The applicant must be planning to attend post secondary education, such as technical school, college/ university, or graduate school.
Requirements and Qualifications:
1. Complete PSRS Academic Scholarship Application.
2. Provide a transcript of current or last school attended (high school, technical school, college or graduate school). A minimum GPA of 2.5 on the 4.0 scaled is required.
3. Provide a current photograph of yourself.
4. Prepare an essay, with a minimum of 500 words, on the topic determined by the Scholarship Committee. Essays may reference current events, published books, magazines, and/or newspaper articles, as well as personal opinions. Essays must include a bibliography of cited sources.
5. Previous scholarships winners are eligible.
Essay Topic for 2013
What book/books would you recommend to others that give a realistic impression of civilian life during the Civil War, and why?
Criteria for Selection:
1. Essay (50%)
2. Participation in community, civic and historical activities and organizations (20%)
3. GPA/GRP on a 4.0 Scale (10%)
4. School Awards and Activities (10%)
5. Employment (10%)
· Application must be received by the committee chair in its entirety by June 30th, of the year of the bestowal.
· Scholarship winner(s) will be announced by August 1st of the same year.
All Scholarships will be selected by the Scholarship Committee. The PSRS Treasurer will be the Chairperson of this committee.
§ Financial need is not to be considered, nor shall any information be requested pertaining to income.
§ There is no discrimination as to the race, color, religion, gender, or national origin of the applicant.
§ All application packets become the property of the PSRS.
§ Applicants that fail to follow all procedures or meet all qualifications will be disqualified.
§ A member in “good standing” is defined as having paid dues on time, and having attended 3 Palmetto Battalion sanctioned events in period dress.
Applications can be sent via mail or email to Jennifer Turner at
PO Box 2101, Bluffton, SC 29910 or firstname.lastname@example.org
All Applicants please copy and paste the application below to your own word document
and print out. Please fill in the application and attach it to any other papers that you are
2013 PSRS Academic Scholarship Program Application
Name of Applicant:
Email Address: _______________________________________________________________________
Parent or Guardian (if minor):
Family Member(s) in PSRS or Palmetto Battalion and relation to self:
Current Educational Status:
School you will be attending in the Fall of 2013 with Address (Technical School, College, University, or Graduate School):
Proposed Course of Study: _______
Current / Last School that you have attended, with Address (High School, Technical School, College, University, or Graduate Program: ________
List of school activities, honors, and awards:
List of other activities and organizations (i.e.: community, civic, historical):
Employment status, with contact information:
Your career goals and plans for the future:
A basic outline of anticipated expenses per year (tuition, room/board, books, etc.):
All requirements, qualifications, and deadlines must be followed by all applicants regardless of current educational status.
Please follow all guidelines and criteria as listed on the scholarship requirement sheet. See that all letters, certificates, and required documents are included. Send four copies of the application with all documents. Fasten all papers securely, with no staples, to the application, and mail flat. No documents or papers will be returned, and become the property of the Palmetto Soldiers Relief Society.
Applicants Signature: Date: